Monday, February 24, 2014

Audio Assignment 3

Link



Script 
HELPING TRANSFER STUDENTS TRANSITION
Watson
2-25-14
:120

HERE AT WSU VANCOUVER WE AIM TO MAKE OUR INCOMING FRESHMAN FEEL AT HOME BUT ARE OUR RESOURCES TO HELP CONNECT OUR TRANSFER STUDENTS LACKING? WE ASKED TRANSFER STUDENT ALCIA RUTERIDGE ABOUT HER TRANSFERRING EXPERIENCE.


            IN: I THINK THE HARDEST THING…
            RUNS: 31
            OUT: SOMEONE TO MEET PEOPLE WITH.”
I TALKED TO HANNA MORRIS-PINSON AND GOT HER THOUGHTS ON HOW TO BETTER THE TRANSITION FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS.

            IN: MY NAME IS HANNA MORRIS-PINSON…
            RUNS: 73
            OUT:… WOULD BE REALLY BENEFICIAL.”
MADISON WATSON KOUG RADIO


Reflection

Why did I choose this topic?

                    I decided to do this topic because I started off as an incoming freshman at WSUV and then after a year I transferred to Clark College and then once I received my AA I transferred back to WSUV. Having that unique experience gave me the opportunity to see where our school’s strengths and weaknesses were when welcoming freshman versus Transfers. As a freshman you are assigned a Student Ambassador and are paired in a group of other freshman that share similar interests and you form bonds with. However, as a transfer student you can attend a non-mandatory orientation where you are given the option to take a campus tour. It seems that since a large majority of WSUV is made up of transfer students that it would be beneficial provide them with similar if not the same networking opportunities that freshman have.

            I interviewed several freshman and some transfer students to hear about their experience with coming to college and what they found to be helpful and where they saw improvements necessary. I also talked with Hanna Morris-Pinson. Hanna is a junior and is a current Student Ambassador who just submitted her application to be next year’s Lead Ambassador. Hanna described the orientation for freshman a place to connect where she said Transfer orientation is more about the “nuts and bolts” of WSUV. She suggested that it may be beneficial for both freshman and Transfers if they shared an orientation. This would provide Transfers with more connections and freshman with more opportunities to hear what college is like.

Interesting aspects of the production process:

I think that the biggest struggle was learning the program and getting it to work. It has been difficult learning new program but even harder because there always seemed to be something that would not work on the computers. To try and help this I have been coming to class 1 to 2 hours before our class and trying to get a head start. Just last week I had finally uploaded all my clips and started editing and something went wrong with the computer causing me to lose all my completed work. It has been fun getting to know a new program simply because I think that watching a story form and then hearing the end result is rewarding.

I made sure that I followed the structure in our text by including an intro and a conclusion as well as a couple of interview clips and natural sound. One thing that was interesting was watching my story grow and change throughout the process. I at first was interviewing only freshman about their transition from high school to college and then I interviewed some transfer students and heard their take on transferring. That’s when the topic started to grow and change. It started as a broad topic with perhaps no concrete story and turned into a focused story that is relevant here on campus.


2 comments:

  1. I thought your topic was a really good one to identify for WSUV. It is something that the campus could get better at as a whole. Also, many students here are transfers and this story applies to a large majority of the campus.

    I think your audio story was great and kept me engaged throughout. The only issue I had was at times your audio would spike and have too much gain. This is probably just a technology issue though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about the orientation emphasis put on incoming freshmen, as you note here, when just as many, if not more, of WSU Vancouver students are returning adults, who often need a support system as well, if not a more robust support system (and community-building systems). This seems like the introduction to a very underreported topic. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete